Wednesday, December 15, 2010

My 2010 Wish List

The below wish list is written by Liz Schmidt....highschool freshman and indigo child!!!!




Dear Santa,
This year, 2010, I want fuzzy socks. Actually I want something else, something I would trade all the fuzzy socks in the universe for. I want world peace. When I say world peace I don’t only mean that there is no fighting, although that is certainly part of it. I want a world were there is no suffering. I want a world in which anyone can follow their dreams, were children can choose the future they want. I want world in which everyone has clean water, enough food to eat, and a roof over their head if they want one; a world that doesn’t have land mines were people live; one in which there are no bombings or killings. I want a world without child soldiers and without sex trades and rape. A world were people don’t suffer and die in streets because there is no one to help them. I want a world that is free of slaves and oppression. A world in which instead of slaughtering and exploiting each other we work towards a better future for our friends, family, neighbors, and decedents; one in which differences are cherished, or at least tolerated, instead of a reason to ravage what we don’t understand. I want a world were there are no drugs to destroy lives, families, and entire nations. A world were people aren’t abused by their loved ones. I want a world that is not destroyed by its own inhabitants, were we nurture the Earth instead of scar it; a world that animals aren’t abused and tortured in. A world in which there is no theft, murder, or bribery simply because there is no motivation for it. I want a world were instead of bickering over power and money we face the problems we, as a people, have created.
One of my friends said, just last week, said that there would never be world peace as long as there was free will. Well Santa, I’ve though about this quite a bit and I want to know, why can’t there be world peace? We have built huge cities, skyscrapers, plumbing systems, electric grids, computers, telephones, vehicles, ships, airplanes! We have even sent people to the moon! If we can create atomic bombs and overcome the law of gravity then why can’t we give food to hungry people or teach children how to read? Why can’t we stop investing billions of dollars in weapons and start using it to pay for what is really needed in the world. Some people say we can’t stop hurting everyone else because then everyone else will turn around and hurt us, but what if everyone stopped? Sometimes as a joke I’ll tell someone, “Come on now, world peace has to start with us.” But the truth is I’m not joking. Peace really does start at the most basic level, everyday life. There is no reason why we can’t just have some respect for each other. There is nothing hard about being civil to your classmate, relative, or just some random stranger. In fact, there is no reason why we can’t go as far as to reach out and help these people when they need it. If we don’t want to do anything for someone else then why would they want to do something for us? In reality we’re really not that different from each other anyways. Everyone laughs, cries, loves, and hurts. Can you imagine how wonderful the world would be if everyone just has some respect for the people in their vicinity? I would say I have free will for the most part, and I’m not at war with anyone. Even if I don’t have free will I don’t know it so it doesn’t matter to me!
So now Santa, you’re asking, “Yes, but even if we respect each other how are we going to solve the worlds problems?” Well, part of respecting other individuals means that you don’t exploit them so that would solve most of the issues surrounding crime, oppression, and corruption. But beside that, what is stopping us? Anyone reading this letter has access to a computer. That means they have the money to buy a computer or someone who loves them enough to give them one. If they, or their family, have enough money to buy a computer than they probably have enough money to live on. If they don’t, they should start spending their money on stuff they really need. Look, we have been gifted with opportunities and resources. By conservative estimates, the United States wastes enough food everyday to fill the Rose Bowl. Why can’t we somehow find a way feed starving children instead of filling up our land fills? Not only can we change the world, we should change it. If we are going to live on this Earth we should make it better, not only for other but also for ourselves. Humans have created the world’s situation, and we can alter or undo it. Besides, the world we live in now is the one our predecessors have fashioned, there is nothing stopping us from fashioning our own. As individuals, communities, nations, and the entire population of the Earth we can fix everything wrong with the way the world is today. Please Santa, I will ask for this every year until I get it. I really think world peace is possible and that it should be achieved. I keep thinking of the song by John Lennon (no, I am not a hippy) that has the line, “You may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one.” If enough of us care then anything can be achieved.
Lots of Love,
A Believer

No comments: