Saturday, July 28, 2007

Expanding


As I struggled with the realities of losing my father at the age of 12.
I reveled in my heavenly father who would not disappoint me
as my earthly father had done. Without that firm anchor,
I do not know what would have happened to the fragile lad that I was.
It is one thing, however, to need a literal anchor
in a particular storm of life but quite another to cling to yesterday's anchor
because you can not grow up. Life changes, boundaries expound and spirits soar.
That is when one discovers that security is not the end goal of life
and that sometimes one has to risk, to let go, to venture
and to journey and when you do, you discover that
God is more than just a security anchor. God is a future hope,
a dream, and a reality beckoning you to live, to love and to be.
- John Shelby Spong

No comments: