Monday, November 9, 2009

Please give your support to this family


I have a special request....please leave Kory and his family a note of encouragement on his Caring Bridge website. He is a senior at Highland (Medina) who has a spinal cord injury after being injured playing a football game on 11/4.
His dad writes the most beautiful entries on the journal part of the website.

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/korywiita/guestbook

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/korywiita/journal



Dear Kory,
Hi!! My name is Michele Benjamin and my husband is a Highland graduate (Mark Kuhar, class of 76.) I have been following your dad’s postings on Caring Bridge ever since Jim Kelly (also class of 76) posted a link to the site on his facebook. There is also a big sign posted outside my daughters’ dance studio, Art In Motion, on Ridge Road. It makes me smile whenever I see the sign.

Anyway
, I first want to say Thank you for all the postings that your dad has written. It takes a lot of courage to expose your raw emotions and fears in the open like that. Your dad’s “realness” is what has me so drawn into following how you are doing. I also agree with the anonymous mom who posted a note to you and said you are a strong soul who is here to be a teacher. For that is what I am sensing about you too.

I am an RN that works with Adolescent patients at the Cleveland Clinic downtown. I am absolutely convinced that the patients that I have cared for in my past and currently are my teachers. I started out in my nursing career as a very shallow person that really was given an easy life. I was very much a person that lived on the “outside.” And by the outside, I mean shopping at the mall was one of my major entertainment sources ….that and partying with my friends. I was very much into following the American Dream and obtaining material things, looking successful and doing things which would bring me pleasure. After my first 5 years of nursing, my life was changed forever….and I am still learning. Back then, I was taking care of kids from all different backgrounds and from all different countries even in life threatening situations. I cared for kids with brain tumors, leukemia, liver failure and yes, spinal cord injuries.
It was a very huge awakening for me and the most beautiful thing that I learned from all of this was LOVE.

I guess my major point of this note is to tell you how much I learned and grew from people like you. It sounds like the doctors and nurses who are given the gift to serve you are learning from you too. I know the world that surrounds you is praying for a miracle…and I am a part of those prayers….and I will continue to envision your healing….and believe me…I have seen many Miracles in my career!!!!

But perhaps, Kory, the biggest miracle of all this the LOVE that surrounds you and your entire family at this time. All of the beautiful posts that your dad has written and all of the beautiful notes that are on your site from others have shown me what a beautiful soul you are and how many lives you have touched.
That video your friends made on you tube makes me cry…it is very touching.

Please continue to breath in that love and exhale your fears. It is by far the biggest and most beautiful gift you have been given and it will carry you through your journey here in this life.
Besides, it is the only thing that is real.
Namaste,
Michele






"Hold on to the reins of Love and don’t be afraid. Hold on to the real behind the false and don't be afraid."

Mevlana Rumi

No comments: