Thursday, May 10, 2007

growing past limitations and irritations


All of nature offers lessons on living, free of charge. One morning I noticed a dead tree supporting many living things--fungus, vines, lichen--which taught me that even after death we can continue
to support those who live on. Living trees on our property teach
other lessons. One tree has grown around a barbed wire fence. Another has grown around a nail, and a third through a chain link fence. These trees teach me how to accept irritation, absorb
the pain and grow around problems. Nature teaches me how
to find my place, grow toward the sunlight and bypass obstacles.
To survive, we must be able to change in response to whatever is required by the challenge of the moment. Our bodies know this,
but our minds often rebel when change is necessary.

-Bernie Siegel, M.D.

No comments: