Friday, September 7, 2007

My Most Exciting Moment


My Most Exciting Moment

by Mira



Dancing is one of my favorite things to do. I have loved it ever since I was seven years old.
Now that I am older, it is more of a challenge.
In my dance classes most of the people are two or three years older than me, so it makes me
work harder. No matter what happens in my dancing career, my fondest memory will always
be the 10 days I spent at Oberlin College for a summer intensive with Ohio Dance Theater.


On July 19th, 2007, I packed up my dance shoes and drove with my family over to Oberlin
College. When we arrived, I waited in line to get my room assignment and my key. I walked
over to my parents and told them that I had good news and bad news. The good news was I got
a four-person room. The bad news was I only knew one person I was rooming with and we
didn’t know each other that well. My parents helped me set up my room, got me situated, and
off they went. Right then, I felt like a real college student.


As the days went by, it seemed like I was getting up earlier and earlier. I was so worn out, that
as soon as my head hit the pillow I was asleep. We had a very packed schedule. Our day started
at 7:30 a.m., when it was time to wake up. Our first class started at 8:45 a.m., and we danced
all day except for an occasional break for lunch and dinner. Our last class ended at 8:45 p.m.,
and after that we went straight back to the dorms. At 11:00 p.m. when we went to bed, I can
guarantee nobody woke up even once.


During the week in our classes we learned a special dance. When parents came to pick up their
kids, they stayed to watch the ending performance. Each dancer did ballet, tap, jazz, theater,
and modern dance. My favorite was the modern dance because the teacher who taught the
dance was my favorite. When all was said and done, I was happy, yet sad to be leaving. I packed
up my dorm, said my good-byes, and then we left. I knew that everyone felt the same way as
me.


Going to Oberlin was a special treat. To go there, every girl had to try out. Even though I have
four, five, or even six years less of experience, I still made it. To me, that is one of my greatest
accomplishments. I can’t wait to try out again and if I’m lucky, I’ll be among the 60 girls who
are chosen from all over Ohio to be invited to the intensive.

No comments: