Thursday, April 30, 2009

On being a freak

Hello!! Above is a picture of Marko practicing for the school talent show audition.
He is playing the song "Imagine" by the John Lennon. That is my very favorite song and it must be Marko's too because he asked his guitar teacher to teach him the song.
It is sounding pretty good.
This has kinda been a stressful week, besides getting assaulted at work by a patient, we have had to decide if we are sending Mira to this workshop in New York city. I don't want to say any names here because I don't want to sway other people in their decisions or hurt the guy's business, but something in my gut did not feel right about this workshop. Although, I think the workshop focuses on a lot of positive things such as: no serious boyfriend until age of 25, healthy self image, nutrition, and the opportunity to learn from a bunch of professional actors. However there were other things bothered me.
Number one was that they would take her cell phone and not allow any contact with her family during the 8 days she is in New York. To me that is UNACCEPTABLE. Nobody is going to tell me that I can't have any contact with my daughter while she is out of state!!
The other red flag was that some of the questions the scout asked the girls were crossing boundaries. I don't think need he needed to ask the personal questions which were brought up in the interview process (with no parents in the room....only the peer dancers aloud in the room.) (Nobody else from the studio thinks that is odd.....maybe I am a freak.)
I know everyone wants to hear how special their kids are.......and
He only chose a handful of kids whom he thought had high self esteem to work with.....but he never even watched them dance....just asked them questions.
weird.....maybe I am a freak........but I stand by my gut decision.
hope you like the quotes below.
Namaste,
Michele


I'm not going to change the way I look or the way I feel to conform to anything. I've always been a freak. So I've been a freak all my life and I have to live with that, you know. I'm one of those people.
-John Lennon

No comments: