Friday, March 9, 2007

Loving the questions


Below are some writings by Sam Keen. I really like him. He is in his 70's and still swings on a trapeze!!
I saw him teaching a class at Omega on the art of trapeze a few summers ago. How fun would that be??!!!-Michele

One day, out of nowhere, you realize you don't know who you are, and none of the cards in your wallet provide the slightest clue to your real identity."-Sam Keen


  • How can I find a meaning, purpose, vocation for my life?


  • What can I know?


  • What ought I to do?


  • For what may I hope?


  • Is there life beyond death?


  • Whom do I love? Who loves me?


  • What curtails my freedom?


  • How can I escape from the constricting social, political, sexual, and economic myths that were imposed on me by my family and culture?


  • To what cause, ideal, faith may I surrender without destroying the integrity of my self?


  • What does it mean to experience the sacred?


  • How can I live a spirited life in a world dominated by a secular-technological-economic vision of reality?


  • How can we create a more just and peaceful world?



  • “ Always the beautiful answer. Who asks a more beautiful question?"

    ee cummings



    Sam Keen was, in his words, "overeducated at Harvard and Princeton" and was a professor of philosophy and religion at "various legitimate institutions" and a contributing editor of Psychology Today for 20 years before becoming a free-lance thinker, lecturer, seminar leader and consultant. He is the author of a baker's dozen books, and a co-producer of an award winning PBS documentary, Faces of the Enemy. His work was the subject of a 60 minute PBS special Bill Moyers--Your Mythic Journey with Sam Keen

    http://www.samkeen.com/

    No comments: