Thursday, April 17, 2008

wow!!!

wow.....today was an amazing, amazing day for me. the picture above is of the flat tire that I happened upon about 30 minutes into my commute to work today. There I was outside on the berm with my hair and skirt blowing everywhere....and this really wonderful guy from ODOT (Ohio transportation) pulled up with his lights shining and came to help. He was so kind.....it was really very uplifting for me....just how caring a total stranger can be when someone is in need. He did everything he could possibly do...he jacked my car up and tried to put the spare on...but there were no lug nuts in the car and his did not fit my tire. I tried to offer him my Starbucks gift card, a toys r us gift card and a CD to listen to....but he would not take anything. He would not tell me his name or let me give him anything. He is one of those angels in life I guess. I do know he is married and has kids and lives in Medina....but he wanted to remain anonymous......I got his license number though....I am going to write a letter to the Ohio department of transportation and tell them how kind he was. That made my whole day.....I smiled every time I think of a stranger trying to help me....just out of the kindness of his heart.....he had no desire to see what he could get from me....he was just there to help. ..he waited with me after trying everything possible until Mark and then the Strongsville police officer showed up.. then the AAA guy showed up with some lug nuts of every size......he put the tire on and then off I went. There is so much goodness in the world. and I feel so blessed to be a part of it. so Mr. Odot man.....whoever you are....this quote is for you!!! see below.
namaste,
Michele

A single act of kindness throws out roots in all directions,
and the roots spring up and make new trees.
The greatest work that kindness does to others
is that it makes them kind themselves.

--Lawrence G. Lovasik




4 comments:

IAA said...

My opinion on this would be that you get what you put out!
You are such a shining orb of loving light, how could anyone resist you? LOL
I'm glad you are ok :)

Michele B said...

You are so kind......
I really think there are angels all around us.....sometimes those ugly things that happen (ie: a flat tire in the middle of a busy highway)....happen so we don't take our life for granted....so others can show up as angels in disguise and help us.
then something magic happens and we both are moved to do make the world a better place.

Michele B said...

Dear Ms. Benjamin:

Thank you for your recent letter regarding the roadside assistance given by a Department of Transportation employee. I appreciate you taking the time to contact me about the quality service you received.

I am proud of the hard work that Ohio’s public servants provide, and I am pleased you recognized this outstanding effort too. I have taken the liberty of forwarding your letter to the Department of Transportation for their review as well.

Thank you again for taking the time to write, and please feel free to contact my office in the future.



Sincerely,


Ted Strickland

Governor

Michele B said...

Ms. Benjamin,
Thank you for your correspondence and kind words. I receive this information from our Central Office folks yesterday ......... they did get the word out! We are very grateful that you have taken the time to recognize the assistance that you were provided ..................... not everyone is so gracious.

We are VERY proud of him ............. he is a good person and an EXCELLENT ODOT employee!

Have a great day ................

Respectfully,
Kimberly Conklin
Medina County Transportation Administrator