Saturday, January 17, 2009

Rest in Peace Uncle Robear




Robert Gentile's passed on 1/15/09. (or Robear, as many of you know him....a name I gave to him in 1984 at a Brown's football game.) I guess just like when your car breaks down and can no longer run, it is the same with our bodies.....we just get out and go home.


Below is a poem that talks about what is important is the dash between the years.
1959-2009. Robear lived a very full life in his dash between the years. He was one of the most giving and generous people that I have ever known. His joy was found in his giving.
Even last week, when visiting him at the hospice center, he still continued to ask everyone how they were doing. His selflessness remained even though he was in the dying process.
I was told he saw Mark's dad (who passed about 15 years ago) sitting in his room and I was told that he died with a smile on his face. Mark is very honored to give his eulogy and to be one of his pall barriers.

Please read the poem below:)
have a great day.
love,
Michele

The Dash Between the Years

I read of a man who stood to speak At the funeral of a friend He referred to the dates on her tombstone From the beginning...to the end. He noted that first came her date of birth And spoke the following date with tears, But he said what mattered most of all Was the dash between those years.

(1935 - 2001)

For that dash represents all the time That she spent alive on earth... And now only those who loved her Know what that little line is worth. For it matters not, how much we own; The cars...the house...the cash, What matters is how we live and love And how we spend our dash.

So think about this long and hard... Are there things you'd like to change? For you never know how much time is left, That can still be rearranged. If we could just slow down enough To consider what's true and real, And always try to understand The way other people feel.

And be less quick to anger, And show appreciation more And love the people in our lives Like we've never loved before. If we treat each other with respect, And more often wear a smile. Remembering that this special dash May last only a little while.

So, when your eulogy is being read With your life's actions to rehash... Would you be proud of the things they say About how you spent your dash?

by Linda Ellis




4 comments:

AutoDT said...

Touched by these kind words...
may he travel in peace...

Namaste

Cyrus

Anonymous said...

Michele,
I am sending you a poem that was given to me by a dear friend the day after my father passed. I hope that you and your family find in it the same comfort and peace that we did. I know that no words can fill that empty place you have indside you at this moment but hopefully it will help ease it in some way! God Bless.. Pam. "See Below"

"When Tommorow Comes"
When tomorrow starts without me, and I'm not here to see, If the sun should rise and find your eyes all filled with tears.
I wish so much you wouldn't cry the way you did today,
While thnking of the many things we didn't get to say.
I know how much you love me, as much as I love you,
and each time you think of me, I know you'll miss me too.
But when tomorrow starts without me, please try to understand
That an angel came and called my name, and took me by the hand.
And said my place was ready in Heaven far above,
And I'd have to leave behind all those I dearly love.
But as I turned to walk away, a tear fell from my eye,
for all life, I'd always thought I didn't want to die.
I had so much to live for and so much yet to do,
It seemed almost impossible that I was leaving you,
I thought of all the yesterdays, the good ones and the bad,
I thought of all the love we shared, and all the fun we had.
If I could relive yesterday, I thought for just a while,
I'd say good-bye and kiss you and maybe see you smile.
But then I fully realized that this could never be,
For emptiness and memories would take the place of me.
And when I thought of worldly things, that I'd miss come tomorrow,
I thought of you, and when I did my heart was filled with sorrow
But when I walked through Heaven's gates, I felt so much at home,
When God looked down and smiled at me, from his great golden throne.
He said, "This is eternity and all I've promised you".
Today for life on earth is past but here it starts anew.
I promise no tomorrow, but today will always last,
And since each day's the same day, no longing for the past
But you have been so faithful, so trusting, so true,
Though there were times you did some things, you knew you shouldn't do.
But you have been forgiven and now at last you're free.
So won't you take my hand and share my life with me?
So when tomorrow starts without me, don't thnk we're far apart,,
For every time you think of me, I'm right here in your heart.
Love you always,

Michele B said...

Cyrus,
thank you for all of your kindness and for your thoughtfulness.
I always enjoy hearing from you!!
Namaste,
Michele

Michele B said...

Pam,
wow....that was a very beautiful poem and very comforting.
thank you, thank you for leaving that for me.
Peace to you Pam!!
Michele