Tuesday, June 3, 2008

War.....what is it good for???



Macy's rank.


These are pictures from "civil war" field trip day on last Friday for two area schools' fifth grade
classes. It was held in the park behind our house.
Macy's class participated in it and I went to see what it was all about.
I did not stay that long.
I really was not that impressed with the glorified war set up.....although I have great
respect for past and present military....this was a field trip that was hard for me to handle.
I went to a few stations with the Macy
I saw them pretend to battle and throw "bullets" at each other and those who were shot were suppose to drop dead on the ground.
If you did not drop dead you had to do 10 push ups.
They had a guy shouting marching commands at them.
One station taught them how to load a gun and fire the gun.
I heard one boy in Macy's class ask if you could kill someone with that particular gun
and the guide said yes.
Then I then heard the boy say to a friend "I would like to blow someone's brains out with that gun."
Another booth had a big confederate flag hanging on the fence and had all kinds of weapons displayed for the kids to examine....from small guns to knives to large guns and bullets.
I saw one kid picking a gun up and aiming at other kids.
So that was all I needed to see.
I asked Macy if she wanted to leave and she said no.
So I left.
I was laughing because I came up there with a shirt on that said"You may say that I'm a dreamer, but I am not the only one."

To their credit, Macy did really enjoy it.
She got to go to the underground railroad station and make a quilt..which was her favorite.

I just don't like anyone to glorify war...it is an ugly thing.

I wish they had a peace workshop instead and had the kids brainstorm about how to make the world a more peaceful and loving place or how we can all try to get along and tolerate each other.

I am weird though....and I am glad that Macy enjoyed the day.
She liked playing the capture the flag best.

No comments: