Thursday, September 11, 2008

Where I'm From


Where I’m From
By Mira Kuhar

I am from dance shoes,
from Ben & Jerry’s and flip-flops.
I am from the bright colors of tie-dye.
(Bold, flashy, and in every room of our house)
I am from the berry bushes out back,
the patchouli my mom always wore.
I’m from Omega and blue eyes,
from Mark and Michele.
I’m from the she-did-it and its-not-my-fault,
from say what’s on your mind and think for yourself.
I’m from ‘the world is my church, and my religion is to do good’,
as my parents always told us.
I’m from Medina and Holland,
daddy’s toast and oval-tine shakes
From the time long ago, when I was mad at dad,
and told him to ‘go to his work’,
and grandpas unforgettable major baseball obsession.
But the memory box on the top shelf of the closet,
will forever hold memories of my childhood,
good and bad,
to look back upon and smile at.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Michele,

I enjoyed your "Where I'm From" poem. My name is George Ella Lyon and I'm the poet who started this craze by using my poem with teachers and students back in the '90's.

Anyway, I have a Google alert for "Where I'm From" and have fun discovering new writers. On your site I was struck by your interest in nature and yoga and Brian Weiss, and wanted to tell you I have a memoir for adults about investigating a past-life experience which surfaced when I was five. It's called DON'T YOU REMEMBER?

You can read about it and all my books, and hear me read "where I'm From" at my website

georgeellalyon.com

Have a sweet day!

George Ella Lyon

Volly said...

Lovely poem, and I'll check out George's site too.